How to create a great website, pt 5: Building functionalityJul 14, 2009
Don't do it!
- Don't build from scratch. A web system developed only for you to perfectly match your needs can easily turn out very expensive and very dead. What if your needs adjust or you were wrong about them?
- Don't build dead functionality. Some of the ugliest things you can find online are forums without discussions, headline news dating back to 2001 and intranets with zero users.
- Don't trust all-in-one solutions. A tool that solves one problem is a good focused tool. A tool that solves all your problems, focuses on nothing and therefore solves nothing.
- Don't over-automate. You are planning to sell 50 products a month through your web store? Then why would you need the online synching with the warehouse for?
How to do it then?
- Just launch it. Being flexible with your needs saves a lot of time and money. Build your web store with Shopify, website with Edicy, intranet with Basecamp. These are simple and basic tools that solve one of your problems at a time. But they really do it and they are ready and set up for launch.
- Extend it. Even if the core system doesn't have everything included, it's rather easy to extend it for (almost) free and white label. You can add extensive galleries from Flickr, site search from Google, time scheduling from BookFresh. Use a variety of different great tools instead of one terrible all-arounder. Newsletters can be sent with CampaignMonitor, documents can be kept in GoogleDocs.
- Follow real life, don't try to reinvent it. Extend and develop your site continuously instead of a) letting it rot or b) trying to build a perfect thing with the first effort. You're already getting 30 support e-mails a day? Great, time to set up a forum. You really have something new to tell more often than once a year? Nice, set up a news section on your site.
- Use real people. To some extent, automating is inevitable. But to get started, real people are better. That's how you learn how and what to automate. Not to mention that real, personal and friendly support instead of automated troubleshooting helps you to grow a loyal customer base. Automate when you are likely to grow out of manpower soon.
Other stories on creating a great websiteOriginally, this article was due in May, but I postponed it to have more of a quiet summer.
No replies to this post
- Pierre Legrain Jul 14
Thanks for the Shopify tip - I was looking for something along these lines when I came across your post.
- Tõnu Jul 14
Oh, I had forgotten to add a link to them. Done! Thanks.
- Jepser Jul 15
Great post Tonu...! Translation is in process.. :)
- Tõnu Jul 16
Jepser -- great to hear! I'm already writing the final post for next week (:
- dofus Nov 18
acheter dofus kamas MMORPG DOFUS FR
- Roshima Laken Jul 06
It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called DR EMU, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of DR EMU, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.
Contact him via email Emutemple@gmail.com
What's app +2347012841542
- Macduff https://sohu.com/ Jan 29
- Burney Jan 29
- Dexter Tamara Jun 06
My mom was suffering from Type 2 diabetes and Lupus for over 17yrs. She tried many drugs but at last became dependent on saferoom and metformin due to the weakness and constant pains, She found that life was just sinking & there was no way of hope. Then she consulted Chief Dr Lucky for herbal treatments, Which she had been hearing so much about, After some couple of days taking this herbal medicine, Things started to change, The symptoms started to decrease and after 19 days of taking it, She became healthy and fully free from all the symptoms of Type 2 diabetes and Lupus. My mom's life is totally different now. That's why I decided to let everybody know about the wonderful healing of Chief Dr Lucky herbal, If you are having any health challenges kindly visit email firstname.lastname@example.org or WhatsApp +2348132777335
Facebook page http://facebook.com/chiefdrlucky
- Gavin Wear Jul 02
I am here to spread this good news to the entire world on how Dr Emu helped me solve my infertility problem and i am so happy now that i am now a mother because for over 4 years i have been trying to get pregnant and needed help, i and my husband always go for medical check up and the doctor always say that the both of us are fine and i have nowhere else to get help from and all hope was almost lost until one day i visited a friend of mine and i told her what i was passing through and she introduce me to this great spell caster called Dr Emu who helped her when she was in need of help, so i took a try to contact Dr Emu through his email and i explain all my problem to him and after we have talked he perform an infertility spell for me and after that he told me what i should do, and i followed the instruction he gave and after that he instructed to sleep with my husband and also i followed the instruction and he said that the next week i should go for medical check up and the doctor confirmed that i was 4 months pregnant and i was so happy that all my sorrows were gone for ever, i am so very happy now and also if you need any kind of help or the same line with mine, contact Dr Emu on his email: email@example.com or call/text his whatsapp phone number +2347012841542 visit facebook page: https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple- 104891335203341